A year ago, I decided to make herbed potatoes by stir frying them. I sliced the potatoes and rubbed them with a herb mixture and put it on the pan. After an hour, they were still uncooked- but they were also burnt. I was too embarrassed to let my mother know that I was such a bad and ignorant cook, so I ate them anyway. I vowed to never cook another potato.
Today, I cooked a potato. I mustered up enough courage to make herbed potatoes. And now, for the poor ignoramus, I will tell you how to cook potatoes. Because I think its a service to mankind.
Boil the potatoes!
Boil potatoes when you usually need to mash them or generally eat with a salad or as a side dish. It usually takes 10 to 20 minutes. You can boil potatoes either whole or cubed. The cubed potato should be evenly cut so that it all cooks through evenly.
To boil a potato-
1. scrub the potatoes clean and transfer them into a saucepan with cold water. The potatoes should be drowning in them.
2. Stir in a teaspoon of salt
3. Bring to boil, and then reduce to simmer. Do not cover the pan.
4. Check the potatoes and then drain them
You now have cooked potatoes.
Bake the Potates!
You can oven bake them by:
– Preheat the oven on 200-250 degree celsius.
– Prick the potatoes with a fork, rub them with oil and season them
– Cook the potatoes for 45- 60 minutes
You can also microwave potatoes:
– Rub the potatoes with oil and prick them with a fork.
– Place the potatoes in the microwave for five minutes at full power.
– Turn them over and microwave for another 5 minutes.
– They should be done, but if they aren’t keep microwaving in 1 min bursts.
You will thank me one day, if you’re an inexperienced cook who’s trying to impress someone with edible potatoes. Or your self esteem has been boosted by my stupid uneducated-ness. Either way, this article has helped you.
photo credit: <a href=”https://www.flickr.com/photos/banger1977/2914549247/”>banger1977</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/”>cc</a>